Six students all walking in a horizontal line together



The UK's new and improved Student route, which falls under the UK's new points-based immigration system, is now open for applications. The Student route improves on the previous Tier 4 route making for a more streamlined experience for international students.

Visas that have been issued through the Tier 4 route are still valid and those eligible will still be able to apply for the Graduate Route when it opens in summer 2021.

We have summarised the main things to be aware of when applying for your visa below. There’s a lot more detailed information about student visas on the UK Government website.

Our admissions officer can answer any questions about visas, so feel free to contact them if you need some assistance.

If you apply through a recruitment agent in your country, they can help with your visa, too. See your country page for details of agents working locally to you.


If you apply to Buckinghamshire New University, you meet our entry requirements and there are enough places on your course, it’s likely you will receive an unconditional offer to study with us.

Once you have one of these, you can then ask for your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, or CAS, which you will need before applying for your visa.

To issue your CAS, we will ask you to provide:

  • your unconditional offer letter (signed by you)
  • evidence of your academic qualifications – if the certificates aren’t in English, you will need to have them translated by an official translator
  • evidence of your English language proficiency
  • Your deposit for your course (This can range between 50% and 100% depending on your location)
  • evidence you have funds to cover the remainder of your tuition fees plus living costs (see below) – this needs to be in an accessible bank account for at least 28 consecutive days
  • evidence of your immigration history – such as an immigration history questionnaire, previous CAS, previous academic results gained in the UK, exit evidence, vignettes, Biometric Residents Permits, refusal documents or curtailments
  • your valid passport.

We can issue your CAS up to three months before your course starts.

As evidence of your funds, you can show us one or more of these:

  • personal bank or building society statements – in your name or your parent’s or legal guardian’s
  • deposit certificates
  • letter from your bank or a regulated financial institution
  • letter from an official financial sponsor
  • letter from a regulated financial institution confirming you have a government, government-sponsored, academic or educational loan.

Questions about obtaining your CAS? Contact our admissions officer.


As part of a Student Route visa application, all students coming to the UK need to pay a health surcharge of £470 a year to the UK Government for each year of their course.

This will be calculated automatically on your Student Route application form when you start your visa application process.

When you pay it, you will receive an email with your Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) reference number, which will appear automatically on your visa application.


Once we send you your CAS, you can complete your Student Route application form online. You can start your application as early as you like.

During your application, you will need to:

  • pay your immigration health surcharge
  • choose which category/type of visa application you want to make, eg Student Route (General)
  • provide your biometrics for your Biometric Residents Permit (BRP)
  • pay your application fee online.

Your application will then be submitted.

The Home Office will consider it and either grant or refuse your application to study in the UK, and confirm that to you in writing.

If your application is refused:

You will need to let us know as soon as possible.

If your application is successful:

Your passport will be returned to you with your entry clearance vignette in it. Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) will also be ready for you to collect from your designated post office when you arrive in the UK.

Any questions, or need help with your visa application? Contact our Admissions team.


In 2012 the Home Office introduced credibility interviews for applicants applying for Student Route visas from overseas.

You may need to attend one of these. The purpose of the interview is to check that your intentions to study in the UK are genuine.

Depending on where you apply for your visa, the interview can take place at different times and places, so it’s important you are ready for this as soon as you make your visa application.

You will need to be familiar with the University, the location and your chosen course of study in some detail.

We also conduct admission interviews for all Student Route students, where we will ask you questions on a range of topics. Being well prepared for this interview should give you a head start if you then need to have a credibility interview as well.


The new ‘Graduate’ route will be open to all international students from the 20/21 academic cycle who have valid UK immigration status as a student and have successfully completed a course of study in any subject at undergraduate level or above at an approved UK Higher Education Provider. The visa will allow eligible students to work, or look for work, in any career or position of their choice, for two years after completing their studies.

More information is available on the website.