Research Excellence Framework
The Research Excellence Framework is an assessment of the quality of UK research across all disciplines. It is a process of expert peer review in 34 Units of Assessment aligned to broad subject areas.
The data set for assessment comprises details of research outputs produced in the publication period, impact case studies and the research environment.
The next REF submission will take place in November 2020 with outcomes published in late December 2021.
BNU Code of Practice outlines processes for selection of staff and preparation of the submission for REF2021.
Further details and guidance for REF2021 submissions are available on the REF2021 website.
The University’s submission for REF 2014 was recognised as both internationally excellent (3*) and world leading (4*) with submissions in:
- Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy
- Business and Management Studies
- Sport and Exercise Sciences, Leisure and Tourism
- Art and Design: History, Practice and Theory
BNU achieved recognition of world leading impact case studies in Business and Management and Art and Design:
- Intermittent Demand Categorization and Forecasting
- Exploring the Decline of British Ceramic Manufacture and its Associated Histories through Contemporary Art Practice
All results are available on the REF 2014 website.