Institute for Health and Social Care
The Institute for Health and Social Care (“the Institute”) will be externally facing and serve as the focal point for health and social care-related activities at the University. It will provide strategic leadership for, and oversight of, all health and social care activities across the University.
I’m very excited to be leading the Institute for Health and Social Care during a time of significant change in the health and social care arena. Political, economic and societal changes are shaping the move towards an integrated health and social care system. The ‘Institute’ will serve as the focal point for all external health and social care-related activities at the University. In providing strategic leadership for the health-related schools, the Institute will enable the University to engage at regional, national and international health and social care platforms.Professor Karen Buckwell-Nutt (pronoun her, she)
The overarching vision is that through a multi-agency approach*, we will find innovative solutions to health and social care challenges.
*Multi-agency FE/HE, NHS, Councils, LEP, funding/governance agencies (HEE, PSRB, CoD). Solutions education/training, inquiry/research, consultancy, Knowledge exchange. Challenges workforce development, quality/service provision, system changes, digital health, availability of funding
- To serve as a “front door” for all health and social care-related activities at the University.
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight of all University health and social care-related activities.
- Enable Schools to deliver streams of work associated with Education, Evidence-Based Practice, Research and Consultancy.
- Work in collaboration with Schools and Directorates to deliver University and local/national health and social care sector objectives.
- Engage with key local, regional and national stakeholders to inform and influence health and social care priorities.
- Facilitate external stakeholder engagement activities associated with University and national strategic objectives.
The Institute Leadership Team
The Institute leadership team, acting as an Operational Board, comprises of academic and non-academic members of the University, including Institute designated posts, Provost for Health, Heads of Schools, representation from Research and Enterprise Directorate and Commercial Directorate. They are responsibile for the design, development and implementation of the Institute’s Annual Operating Plan.
The Institute Strategic Advisory Board, comprises of Institute Leadership Team, Visiting Professor Mental Health, representative from Bucks Health and Social Care Academy, a director of Adult Social Care and representatives from Buckinghamshire Healthcare Trust, NW London NHS, Primary Care and Allied Health.
It will assist in shaping the operational plan with regard to primary, social, intermediate and secondary health care needs in accordance with local, regional and national workforce requirements.
Official Launch event on 19 May 2021