Safeguarding: Student Welfare
Safeguarding: How it works
At Buckinghamshire New University, we understand the diverse range of safeguarding issues facing students today including sexual harassment, hate crime and online harassment.
Everyone has the right to work, live and study in a safe and supportive environment that is free from harassment and fosters inclusivity and respect, which are fundamental to our British values.
Which is why we have created a number of safeguarding policies and procedures as well as instituting a ‘zero tolerance’, to support the safety and wellbeing of our students.
Responsibility and accountability
Our aim is to embed a culture of putting learners’ safety first throughout all areas of the University:
- Senior members of the University take a strong lead with responsibility and accountability for safeguarding for our students
- The University has appointed a Principal Safeguarding Officer (PSO) and a Deputy Safeguarding Officer (DSO) with monitoring and reporting responsibility
- All members of staff must have Safeguarding training including topics around abuse, prevent and British values
- Employees and partners of the University, including Security and Bucks Students’ Union, are encouraged to promote the code of behaviour and good practice at all times
- Each curriculum is used to promote safety, in part by exposing learners to the risks that they may encounter in their working lives and educating them about how to deal with them, as well as increasing their knowledge of safety matters.
Promoting British values
Fundamental British values are part of the Prevent strategy within our Safeguarding policy. At Buckinghamshire New University, we promote British Values to reflect life today in modern Britain.
There are four values outlined in the strategy:
Democracy, Rule of Law, Individual Liberty and Respect and Tolerance of all religions/faiths or none.
We encourage and discuss the importance of tolerant behaviours, such as sharing and respecting each other's opinions.
Support and Advice
The University also provides a wide range of support services to assist our students throughout their academic journey
The Students' Union fosters and promotes inclusivity and respect in all areas of a students academic and social life.
They are also here to lend an ear on any topic and to advise, help and support you in a wide range of ways.
Health and Wellbeing - Your journey through University can be an amazing time of change in your life. Throughout your studies, it is important to care for your physical health as well as your mental health and wellbeing. There may also be times where you may feel that you need support to help you get the most out of your time here. Our support service will provide information, support and guidance to help you manage any issues that might impact on your studies, as well as your general wellbeing.
Our goal is for both the University and our students being part of a tolerant, inclusive academic community.
Please find below additional resources on: