Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
All students have to be checked through the Disclosure and Barring Service prior to being permitted to undertake any clinical or placement experiences. Should there be a delay in completing the DBS-checking process, we will consider each individual case on its merits and the implications for the student to undertake practice experience.
The DBS process has changed from the 2021/22 academic year onward to an online process with Checks Direct that you need to complete and return yourself. You will be given guidance about how to do this.
The application will require the following information:
- Personal details – Name, DOB, contact details, NI number.
- Full 5 year address history this must include all dates
- Place of birth
- All names known by – Any previously used forenames, middle names or surnames must be provided and the years to and from you were known by these.
We will then need three forms of identity to process your application:
- Birth certificate – issued at the time of birth
- Current photocard driving licence
- Adoption certificate
- Current Passport
You must have at least 1 of the above ID documents, other documents that can be used in conjunction if you do not have all 3 from the list are:
- Bank statement (Hard copy, dated within the last 3 months)
- Utility bill (dated within the last 3 months)
- Council tax statement (Dated within the last 12 months)
- Benefit letter or any letter addressed to you to from DWP, HMRC and must be dated within the last 3 months
- P45 or P60
- Pensions statement
- Credit card statement (Dated within the last 3 months.
- Mortgage statement (dated within the last 12 months)
Please contact your Registry Officer if you have any queries.
To determine if eligibility exists, please consult the DBS Eligibility Tool. You may also find the guidance at the below links helpful: