Figures reveal Bucks is a Top 10 UK University for employment rates
The first phase of graduate outcomes data published by the Higher Education Statistic Agency (HESA) (23 June) shows that Buckinghamshire New University has one of the top employment rates in the UK as 98% of its graduates were in, or about to start, employment or further study within 15 months of graduation.
The latest figures show that, when compared to other multi-faculty UK universities offering a broad range of courses, Bucks’ graduates performed better than those at 20 of the 24 universities which form the Russell Group:
- Bucks ranks 8th in the UK for graduates entering employment or further study; and
- Tops the table for Post-92 institutions in London and the South East.
In terms of graduate unemployment levels across multi-faculty UK universities, the HESA data shows that Bucks New University has the 5th lowest graduate unemployment rate in the UK (2.1%).
Professor Nick Braisby, Vice-Chancellor of Buckinghamshire New University, said: "We’re delighted to see confirmation from the graduate outcomes data that Bucks has one of the best employment rates in the UK, and the best performance of any modern University in London or the South-East. These results are testament to our proud history of offering employment-focused and skills-based learning, and to how we work tirelessly to ensure our students are well-prepared and confident to succeed in their chosen careers.
"Applying knowledge in authentic work-related scenarios is a hallmark of every course at Bucks. From day one, we encourage our students to focus on their future careers and to take advantage of the many opportunities to get valuable experience under their belt while they study."
The ways in which the University enhances its students’ employability include:
- All Bucks students follow the Placement Plus programme which focuses on ensuring students achieve highly skilled graduate level employment after completing their degrees;
- Employment-related learning and the application of knowledge in practice is built into all courses;
- The University works in partnership with employers to provide work-based activities including placements to gain valuable work experience; ‘live briefs’ and competitions; and opportunities to learn from successful industry specialists;
- Its Careers and Employability Service supports students through the ‘MyBucksCareer’ portal, with advice from everything including how to craft effective LinkedIn profiles and CVs to planning career options.
- A free postgraduate Certificate of Business Leadership open to graduates of all disciplines, which boosts career prospects through its emphasis on developing problem solving skills, creative thinking, leadership and management.
Bucks Students’ Union’s Big Deal initiative, funded by the University, provides students with a wide range of free extracurricular programmes to enhance employability including skills-based workshops and volunteering opportunities.
Professor Braisby added: "Working with Bucks Students’ Union, we do everything we can to ensure our students are ready to hit the ground running, and stand out in the highly competitive employment market when they graduate. We provide our students with many ways to develop their skills and gain experience to bolster their job prospects. It’s why Bucks graduates go on to be successful in their chosen careers, and we’re so proud of all that they achieve."