Drawing on studies of society, psychology, social policy, sociology, ethics and law, as well as professional Social Work practice, our BSc (Hons) Social Work and MSc Social Work courses at BNU explore the balance between an individual's place in society and the effect of society upon individuals. We look at how effective Social Work can empower people to take control of their lives.
Our lecturers, all of whom are former Social Work practitioners, have a rich vein of practice experience from which to draw, to bring your learning to life and ensure theory is consistently linked to practice.
Whether you undertake a degree or master's with us, our courses will challenge and support you in gaining both fundamental and higher-level skills. We can help you improve your knowledge and skills to help you enhance your career prospects.
You will be qualified to safeguard adults and children as part of multi-disciplinary teams. Our graduates leave us to work in a wide range of settings, including Local Authorities, Healthcare Trusts, voluntary and independent sectors.
Take a look at our Social Work courses
- We keep in close contact with the practice environment and work with prospective employers to ensure our courses support evidence-based practice and help develop a highly skilled and competent workforce.
- Tutors remain up to date with the latest sector changes and many lead, or are otherwise involved in, forums, discussing and influencing the future of social work. Many of the course lecturers are also published authors.
- Our courses cover the standards of the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) so our graduates can apply for registration as a professional social worker straight away.
- We are the preferred Higher Education Institution partner for the Berkshire area providing the academic input for the Department of Health and Social Care funded PGDip in Social Work (Step Up to Social Work).
- We also run the Social Work Academy in partnership with Buckinghamshire County Council and Buckinghamshire College Group. This employer-led centre of excellence is a training centre for social workers in Buckinghamshire set up to help address local skills shortages. We offer training for those working in the sector, promote career pathways for school leavers into the profession, and offer courses for adults seeking a career change. As part of the academy, we are working to:
- improve and support learning opportunities for experienced social workers and managers
- embed a learning culture and encourage social workers to continue linking theory with practice
- build on the well-established Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE) programme for newly qualified social workers.